Monday, January 28, 2013

The False Narrative: Frank Thomas

In life, often times, people will tell stories that sound better than if they were really true.  In sports and politics, the athlete or politician will make statements that seem to indicate that they are a self-made man or that it was their hard-work that made them who they are, today.  People like telling these stories and it feeds to our desire to know that we, too, could be so successful if all we did was work harder at whatever our job is.  After all, if so-and-so was able to accomplish their dreams only because of their hard work, all I have to do is work harder and I'll be super successful.  But, often times these stories are false.  The narrative of the person just working harder than everyone else might be true sometimes, but not all the time.  It's important to know when it is true.

ANYWAYS.  As I was on my Twitter account, I noticed that one of the writers I followed (@Bill_TPA) had a link to a story on Frank Thomas.  He also pointed out a contradiction in what Frank Thomas was saying and reality.  Frank Thomas said,"...Thank God I'm blessed and I did it the right way and I had a good family base that made me outwork everybody else because that was the only way I made it to the big leagues. I was never that blue-chip prospect. I had to do a lot of extra work to get to the big leagues."  Exactly, Big Hurt.  It's not like you were drafted in the 1st round of the draft, 7th overall, in fact.  Baseball America, a leading baseball magazine that ranks prospects each year had Frank Thomas as the 29th best prospect going into the 1990 season.  Thomas exhausted his rookie eligibility in 1990.  Not a blue chip prospect? Not by any stretch of the imagination. 

No comments:

Post a Comment