Thursday, October 4, 2012

The Debate: Part 1

So, the debate's transcript is posted.  I have nothing else to do....Time to be overjudgmental and start criticizing people.  I'm excited. Are you?  Well, I don't care. I'm going to go through each of the sections and if there are things that need to be checked, I'll check them up against the databases found at PolitiFact and FactCheck.  It's pretty clear that Romney won the debate, according to most people.  He's getting a good reaction from the polls immediately after, but so do most challengers. To be fair, I thought Romney did better than expected.  But, well, let's let the rest of my posts explain about his points.  Yes, I'll be overly mean to both sides. 

First segment:

Opening by Barack Obama:
1. Really?  You chose to have the debate on your anniversary?  If I did something like that, my girlfriend would kill me. Probably, literally.

2. "Over the last 30 months, we've seen 5 million jobs in the private sector created. The auto industry has come roaring back and housing has begun to rise." Fact-checking time.  This is true.  But, as you can see from the table from the Bureau of Labor Statistics, it's kind of a cherry-picked claim.  From January 2009 to January 2010, the economy lost a number of jobs, almost the same amount.  While we've created more jobs than lost, it's probably too close to comfort.

Response by Mitt Romney:

1. It starts with an appeal to pity. Which I mentioned with my posts on fallacies.

2. "My plan has five basic parts: One, get us energy independent -- North America energy independent. That creates about 4 million jobs. Number two, open up more trade, particularly in Latin America; crack down on China if and when they cheat. Number three, make sure our people have the skills they need to succeed and the best schools in the world -- we are far away from that now. Number four, get us to a balanced budget. Number five, champion small business."  This is a nice basic plan. But it doesn't mean anything, really. Romney has been critical of Obama with trade, especially Latin America, quoting on his website that on day one, he would approve the free trade agreements with South Korea, Panama, and Colombia.  But, they've already been signed. That's going to open up trade with Latin America, it's Panama and Colombia, but still. Barack Obama has already said that Mitt Romney was critical of Obama for standing up to China. A quote from Mitt Romney's book, No Apology, "President Obama’s action to defend American tire companies from foreign competition may make good politics by repaying unions for his support of their campaign, but it is decidedly bad for the nation and our workers. Protectionism stifles productivity." Just, so you know. I'll leave the balanced budget claim, for later.  Education, too.

I'll leave the next set of claims for the next post...

No comments:

Post a Comment