Thursday, February 16, 2012

Abortions and You Part 1

At some point, someone will ask me if I am pro-choice or pro-life.  I will respond that I am pro-choice.  This does not equate with being pro-death or with being pro-abortions.  In a perfect world, we would not have any need for abortions.  We do not live in a perfect world.  We live in a world where unintended pregnancies happen.  Unintended pregnancies account for nearly half of all pregnancies.  About 40% of unintended pregnancies end in an abortion.

Our goal whether you are pro-choice or pro-life is to reduce the number of abortions to closer to zero.  There are still situations, such as if the mother's life in danger because of the pregnancy that I don't think we can prevent.  But the question is, how do we stop unintended pregnancies?

There are a few ways that we could try to cut down on the number of unintended pregnancies.  The first of which is to underperforming and have federal funding of Planned Parenthood.  Congress has prohibited the use of federal funds to Planned Parenthood, just recently.  But wait, Josiah, Planned Parenthood is really just an organization that kills babies. Why do you want to increase funding and have federal funding of Planned Parenthood?  Regardless of what you think of Planned Parenthood, they do provide a service to people.  They do provide contraceptives for people.  In doing so, they are attempting to cut down on the number of unintended pregnancies.  Their services sometimes allows for the only contraceptives that somebody can get in certain situations.  By increasing funding to Planned Parenthood, we would also allow them to focus on educating people about contraceptives.  It's not enough to merely hand out birth control.  You do need to know how to do it the right way.  By misusing birth control, you are at risk of having an unintended pregnancies.

That brings me to my second way of reducing unintended pregnancies.  The second way is to provide sex education to teenagers and anyone who is really interested.  It would be uncharitable of me to say that teaching abstinence in school increases the number of abortions or the number of unintended pregnancies.  The number of pregnancies have decreased, including when George W. Bush was in office.  This is not something that I would be willing to bet on as a causation.  I think in all likelihood, it is something interesting.  But I digress.  Increased funding of Planned Parenthood and other sex education/family planning services would bring about an increase in their ability to educate people about sex and birth control.

This is mainly an opinion piece and I'm sorry.  I will provide more facts as I post more about abortions and other issues.  I'll leave you with this example.  Before I turned 21, my parents tried to talk to me about not driving drunk.  Their point was that I should not be forced to make a decision of this magnitude when I was drinking.  I should make this decision before something like this happened.  I should do anything in my power to avoid putting me in a situation where I was forced to make a decision that could change my life.  I feel the same way about abortions.  We should be able to make it so that people should not be forced to have to make a decision that will alter their life.  Creating opportunities to prevent pregnancies before they happen will prevent abortions because it will prevent unintended pregnancies.  I firmly believe this.

No comments:

Post a Comment